Valley Cartage believes that it is part of our civic responsibility to protect the environment and conserve our natural resources. We actively promote several internal environmental management programs including:
- Newly installed satellite tracking and measuring systems to monitor fuel consumption and improve efficiency
- Conversion to electric forklifts to minimize fuel usage and eliminate fumes
- Continuous investment in newer equipment to improve fuel efficiency, reduce emissions and increase performance
- Scheduled engine tune-ups and overhauls resulting in two-tenths of a mile improvement in miles-per-gallon
- Lowering of top speed on all tractors to 62 miles per hour, resulting in fuel savings and improved efficiency
- Strict computerized monitoring of tractors to reduce idle time and fuel consumption. In 2012 alone, we reduced our engine idling fuel usage by over 80%
- Utilization of trailer decking to improve stowability of cargo and reduce the number of trips between terminals
- Installation of trailer skirts on linehaul trailers have added two-tenths of a mile to our fuel efficiency
- Use of paperless invoices and other electronic systems to eliminate printing of documents whenever possible
- Replacement of older, less efficient lighting and HVAC systems
- Recycling of old tires, metal, used engine oil, paper, packaging and dunnage materials
Valley Cartage is a partner in the EPA SmartWay® Transport Partnership. Launched in 2004, SmartWay is a United States Environmental Protection Agency program that works to reduce transportation-related emissions by creating incentives for industry to improve supply chain fuel efficiency.
SmartWay partners commit to benchmark operations, track fuel consumption and improve performance annually. Overall, the program has resulted in increased energy efficiency while decreasing greenhouse gases and air pollution. Valley Cartage is proud to be part of this cooperative effort between industry and government.